Is it really Monday already? Where did the weekend go?!!
Weekend mornings are the best and this weekend was no different. We are going to be travelling for the Thanksgiving holiday so we took the weekend to shop, clean, and just generally get ready before the work week starts. The weather was beautiful!!…crisp, sunny days just like fall Cali weather should be…
We were feeling a little ethnic (and had leftover tortillas from last week’s dinner!) so we decided to make breakfast tacos for breakfast on Sunday. We kept them meatless to keep things simple and added cottage cheese for a cool fresh twist! They were yummy!!
I love that weekend breakfasts always inspire great conversation. There’s something about working together to create a good meal, chopping and dicing while sipping on coffee…we always start by talking about the meal at hand but somehow we end up in some crazy discussion about life, marriage, family, career, or whatever else.
This week’s conversation ended up being about acceptance. The topic is too large to tackle in this post, but it will be coming in a future post soon. In the meantime, enjoy the tacos and let me know what you think!
5 Small Corn tortillas
5 Large Eggs (we use pasture raised)
1 tablespoon non-fat milk
1 tablespoon onion, chopped very finely
1 Tomatada batch (aka Tomato-y Goodness)
1 cup cottage cheese
½ cup cotija cheese, crumbled
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt, pepper to taste
1. Prepare the tomatada as shown here. Keep covered and on very low heat so it can stay warm while you prepare the rest of the tacos.
2. Heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until it starts to brown in color.
**We like our onions super well done, almost burned!! Those brown flecks you see in the pics…yep, those are onions!
3. While the onion is cooking, crack your eggs in a bowl, add the milk, salt and pepper, and beat until fluffy.
4. Once the onion is to your desired crispness, add the eggs. Stir and turn continuously, until the eggs are done. Remove from heat.
5. Heat tortillas according to the directions on the package.
6. Now you are ready to assemble your tacos! For each tortilla, start with egg on the bottom, then tomatada, then the cottage cheese. Sprinkle the cotija on top.
7. Serve with sliced avocado.
Enjoy!! I’d love to hear your thoughts if you try the recipe.